The London Irish Centre has always had a strong volunteer community, and in our 60th year this is no different.
We have over 150 volunteers connected to the Centre. Some help with serving meals in our Day Centre, some act as Befrienders to elderly or isolated members of the community, some sit on our Board of Trustees, and some help us to deliver our concerts and events, among many other things. All offer their time and expertise generously, and enable us to carry out the work that we do.
Centre Handy Person
The London Irish Centre (LIC) are based in a beautiful building in Camden NW1 that needs regular maintenance and upkeep to ensure its security, function and general appearance.
We are looking to recruit a volunteer to undertake porterage tasks as required including setting up and clearing away furniture, minor painting and decorating, basic joinery such as tightening screws, fixing door handles and other basic repairs.
The role is flexible and ad hoc. Experience of making repairs on a formal or informal basis is essential. Own tools would be helpful. Agreed expenses will be paid (for parts etc).
Lunch Club Assistant
We run a Lunch Club three times a week for people over 55. The Lunch club's friendly atmosphere helps older people to socialise in a secure and safe environment. We serve a nutritiously balanced meal which helps our members keep healthy. The club's success means that it is always busy. As a Lunch Club Assistant you would provide a welcoming and friendly atmosphere and help to ensure that the Lunch Club runs smoothly.
- Setting up tables for the Lunch Club
- Serving food and clearing tables
- Cleaning and tidying the Lunch Club area
- Creating a welcoming and friendly atmosphere
- Engaging with service users in Lunch Club
You would need to be available on Mondays or Fridays from 11am - 2.30pm. Free lunch will be provided.
Tea Dance Assistant: The centre runs a fortnightly Wednesday afternoon (1-5pm) Tea Dance in our building in Camden. This volunteer role assists the Day Services team in the professional delivery of this social event. The Tea Dance is a regular event with live music, bingo, friendly faces and fun activities.
- Welcoming customers to the event
- Taking tickets on the door
- Handling petty cash
- Providing a warm and friendly atmosphere
- Serving refreshments
- Setting up and assisting with raffle and bingo
- Clearing tables at the end of the session
- Reporting issues to the Tea Dance Leader
- Attending regular planning meeting with the team
Volunteering in any of these roles gives many benefits to volunteers including:
- Meeting new people
- Volunteer social events
- Further training available
- Out of pocket expenses reimbursed
- Great experience for your CV
- A chance to create a lasting resource for the Irish community in London.
If you are interested in volunteering at the London Irish Centre please email email@example.com